How to Make a Place Welcoming
- Reduce distractions (less lighting, noise, uncluttered areas).
- Offer a schedule of how you will be spending your time together with a clear beginning and end.
- Use pictures or written cards such as “quiet,” “I need a break,” or “I need help.”
- Use timers to provide limits and closure.
- Use labeling to identify everything in the environment
- Have a chemical-free environment, avoiding cleaning supplies with strong odors.
- Ask in advance if the individual with ASD has any particular habits or needs that you can prepare for them in advance (e.g. if they have food allergies, a preference to certain types of soap).